Thursday 7 April 2016

Dorset landscape photography images

so here are my 12 Dorset landscape photography images.

In no order whatsoever they are

Mupe Bay photographed from Arish Mell beach

This is one of my favourite images taken on the Jurassic Coast. I love the contrast in the three main colours, the blue of the sky, the yellowy orange of the sunset, and the green grass on the sloping land.

This is not one of the most common images of the Dorset Jurassic Coast, partially as the land is often closed as there are military firing ranges to the right!

In the background to the left is Weymouth, hiding in the sunset.

Fields, Dorchester

This is an image that I had completely forgotten about!

Captures on the road from Dorchester to Weymouth, this is a rare telephoto zoom Dorset landscape photography shot. I used to only use a wide angle lens for landscape photography.

This shot has the classic leading lines, as well as two bright and vibrant colours along with lots of texture. Plus one wonky telephone pole. Put them all together and you get a picture of Dorset I am really happy with.

Misty track

Now this is a recent favourite of mine. I was driving to Salisbury one morning, and spotted this track in the mist.

I had to stop and take this shot. The morning sun was just beginning to appear, so all I captured here was the lingering ends of the mist before the sun burnt it off, giving wonderful soft light. The gate at the end gives a focal point to lovely Dorset image.

Bats Head, Dorset

From above Durdle Door, if you look right, or to the west, this is what you see. Bat’s head. Another great site on the Dorset Jurassic Coast. This is one of my older pictures of Dorset, which I have not re-edited, as I like this shot just the way it is.

The star of this picture of Dorset is the glowing sun on the cliff face.

Durdle Door

This really is a world famous landmark, photographed one cold winters evening when there was absolutely no-one there but me. A great subject, a great sky, still clouds and moving water all combine to produce this slightly different picture of Durdle Door.

Picture of a field, WInterbourne Abbas, Dorset

My favourite field. I have photographed this field a lot. I like the contours and its west facing slopes. And the fact I can park the car pretty close which always helps!

For this shot I decided to give it a little tweak in Lightroom, taking the feel of the image in a slightly different direction. I have produced lots of different versions of this shot, but this is my favourite at the time of writing this, but don’t be surprised to see a different version up here!!

Kimmeridge Bay at sunrise

Waiting. Landscape photography is all about waiting for the right moment, the right light. And in this case the right wave, doing the right thing, just where I want it to.

I got down low for this shot, giving the prominence to the rock in the foreground adding a sense of depth and drama to this scene. I have tried to capture and portray the textures in the rocks and water in this hot, which is very much about the water and how it has shaped the view.

Cove Shop, Lulworth Cove

Lulworth Cove is a very, very, popular destination. Why? Because it is fantastic.  I like this shop, which you walk past on the way down to the cove. I captured it early one morning while they were stocking up on fresh supplies for the day.

I love the light spilling out of the shop, and the mood that this image evokes.

Portland viewed from Ringstead Bay

A very stylish shot of Portland, photographed from Ringstead Bay. Another slightly different view of a very well known Dorset landmark. The light, as ever, made this shot. Great timing on my part – I will take credit for that, and for pointing he camera in the right direction, but with a scene like this it is hard to take a bad photo!

Lovely warm textures and colours – you can almost feel the glow of the sun on the moving water.

Portland Bill Lighthouse, Dorset

Another often photographed Dorset scene, Portland Bill Lighthouse. It takes a while to get there, but this is an absolutely fantastic Dorset location. The long exposure effect provides a dramatic background, with the colours in the lighthouse structure reflecting, complimenting and contrasting with the colours in the sky.

Moody, morning mist in Dorset

A bit of a dark image. I wanted something to contrast all the bright shots in this collection – something a bit different.

This is very much a mood shot. Deep mist over the West Dorset hills as the sun rises. The mist is being illuminated above the lines of trees as the sun is appearing.

West Bay beach and cliffs

Once described be me as Gold Cap (I know it should be Golden Cap), this is actually the view looking the other way from West bay beach, towards Burton Bradstock. Another great Dorset view with lots going on in the sky and a very enticing beach leading to those lovely golden cliffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment